Saturday, August 9, 2008

Gardening

I love to garden. We planted a nice garden this year. We ate green beans, squash and zucchini, a tomato or two, couple bell peppers, two strawberries and the grand finale' is a watermelon! The soil at our house isn't that good and we tried to add stuff, but overall, as in most cases, we worked much harder than the fruit/vegetables produced. In its (the garden's) defense though, in the last two months, it hasn't gotten much attention from me. I've had many health issues and have done all I can do to keep my home on the inside functioning.

Overall, it has been a good time for me. It was during my gardening that the Lord gave me the title of my devotional book. Gardening is definitely good for the soul!


We planted watermelon for the first time this year. I had no idea how much those vines grew! They overtook almost the entire garden! After watching the vines grow and grow, we finally had our first watermelon. We watched it regularly, took pictures from it's baby stage and just giggled over it. I kept getting asked, is it ripe yet...I kept telling people, "I don't even know how to tell if it's ripe or not!" All I knew is that is sure did sound like it was ready, but I still didn't pick it. My husband brought it in last night. I put it in the fridge and it split down the middle. I now know it was ready when I thought it was two days ago:) Lesson learned. When I finished cutting the watermelon open, the house was filled with the most wonderful sweet smell. We wrapped it and placed it in the refrigerator to enjoy as an afternoon treat today. Chris said there are three more watermelons out there. None of those are ready. We move the end of this month, I sure hope they are ready by then! I'll attach a picture of the watermelon this afternoon. It's so pretty:)

Not picking the watermelon when it was ready kind of reminds me of my walk with the Lord. How many times has the Lord tried to send me through a new door in my life that I "just wasn't sure about" and hesitated or didn't even go through. Did I miss a blessing because of fear in "producing fruit" so to speak? Or even worse, did I miss out on blessing someone else with the sweet aroma of Jesus because of me not walking through a door....oh may it never be so.

Oh Lord, give me courage to open and walk through every door you would have me walk through. Amen.

No comments: