Thursday, July 31, 2008

Birth and Death

I am a visual learner. Last night after working I went to the hospital to see my friend Eddie. When I got off the elevator, the waiting room looked very familiar. Walking down the hallway I realized I was on the Labor/Delivery Floor. I knew this because two of my three children were born on that floor. I thought, "this must be the wrong place." I walked to the nursing station and asked for Eddie's room, sure enough...I was on the right floor. I couldn't believe they have people who were dying on the same floor as people who were giving birth. I thought, "How ironic, people who are rejoicing over the birth of a new child are on the same floor who are mourning the death of their loved one." As soon I finished that thought, the Lord reminded me of something my Pastor once said, that we have it backwards, that we aught to be mourning in birth and rejoicing in death; if the one passing knows Jesus, they are in for the time of their life! The scripture reference for that is in Ecclesiastes 7:1. "A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." I can assure you, when Eddie's time comes, he will be greeted by Heavenly Angels and ushered into the presence of Almighty God. He's in for the time of his life!

No comments: