Saturday, October 29, 2011

Watching Life Unfold

I left this morning in a foul mood. 

The kids are singing in "big church" tomorrow night.  The only type pants Christopher wears are pants with elastic in them.  I hadn't been able to find ANY pants with elastic except for jogging suits; so that is what his wardrobe consists of; and shorts (with elastic) of course.  Kaitlyn's shoes are stained and wearing thin and with her sensory problems increasing; finding shoes and socks she can wear without an emotional break down is a miracle!  She's needed shoes desperately but I was hoping to stretch them out till Christmas . . . no such luck.

After running into Target and finding no pants or shoes in our price range; we made the dreaded run to Wal-Mart.  My frustration was mounting and the "Why's" and "Woe is me's" began to fill my mind.  Discontentment set it.

But . . . . God.

It was then, as I was driving west on Nine Mile Road, heading to Wal-Mart on Hwy 29 that I thought, "Why am I going to Wal-Mart on Hwy 29?  I always go to the Wal-Mart on Creighton?"  Instantly and out of the blue, the Lord reminded me of my prayer in my journal this morning.  It read, "Lord, please let me see Paula today.  It's cold, and you told me to give her (a particular coat that had been donated to Nothing Lost Outreach through a friend) that coat.  Please let me see her.  Please." 

I told Kayla (she was with me) about it and said, "Kayla, I have to find her today.  I don't know where she is and I've only seen her outside of NLO one time.  Lord, please let me see her." 

As you can imagine, my heart leapt with joy as I pulled into the turning lane on Nine Mile Road to turn left on Old Palafox as the thin, frail woman I know as Paula, began walking towards my car wearing only a thin coat with a beanie hat.

Once again, God had nailed it.  He had Paula on my heart this morning, strong enough to journal about it; then used my running around (in the flesh) to bring me back to the Cross . . . to show His mighty hand!  He provided for Paula, through a friend that gave in obedience.  Hallelujah! 

God showed me I was getting all worked up about something that doesn't matter.  ". . . . . . stop trying to be what everyone else wants you to be.  Those children are singing to Me and they could care less what they are wearing; so you shouldn't either." 

I am reminded of my reading this morning in Sarah Young's, "Jesus Calling" devotional.  It reads:

LINGER IN MY PRESENCE A WHILE.  Rein in your impulses to plunge into the day's activities.  Beginning your day along with Me is essential preparation for success.  A great athlete takes time to prepare himself mentally for the feat ahead of him before he moves a muscle.  Similarly, your time of being still in My Presence equips you for the day ahead of you.  Only I know what will happen to you this day.  I have arranged the events you will encounter as you go along your way.  If you are not adequately equipped for the journey, you will grow weary and lose heart.  Relax with Me while I ready you for action.

Ephesians 2:30, "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Hebrews 12:3, "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Lord forgive me of my jealous heart and "do right" attitude.  Thank you for showing yourself to me today; thank you for my friend that was obedient to what YOU put on her heart in order to provide for Paula.  Thank you for allowing me to be on the sidelines and watch it all unfold.  Lord, I thank you for opening my eyes and bringing me back to the cross.  I love you, Lord.  I trust you.  Amen.

Paula told me she'd definitely be at NLO tomorrow because it is her birthday (Sunday, October 30th).  We will be celebrating at NLO with a birthday cake (no, she has no clue).  I wonder how long it has been since her birthday was celebrated?  She will be 48.  Please pray for Paula today.

Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."


No comments: