Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Out Of The Mouth Of Babes....

My friend Robin posted this on on facebook. I like Robin because she shoots it straight, you always know where she is coming from and she isn't afraid to admit when she is wrong or makes a mistake. That's hard to come by these days.

Please take a few minutes, read what she wrote about....the "G" word (gossip) and how her young son put things in perspective.



I love to talk! I was so quiet in middle school & high school that I think it's all coming out in my adult life! I don't ever meet a stranger. I talk to everyone! Herein lies the problem. I came home tonight and Danny (my 13 year old) asked me if I gossip. Never had any use for a liar and I'm not one myself soooo I said yes, unfortunately I do. Most of the time I think that I'm just spouting my opinion. In reality, I should harken back to the old days and just shut up! I asked Danny why he asked that question and he said 'gossip is like standing on your roof with a feather pillow'. I asked him what he meant and he said ' if you cut it open and let the feathers fly in the wind, that is like gossip. Then you have to try to get every feather and put it back in the pillow. You can't. That's what happens to your words. They fly all over and you can never get them back.' Ouch! Out of the mouth of babes. I love when I learn from my kids. I asked him where he heard that and he couldn't remember. Some of my best arguments are those where I have not said one word. I should well remember from growing up how harsh and hurtful words can be. Once they're out there, that's it. You can't take them back. I used to pray this prayer alot - I think it's time to start praying it again!

Lord, keep me from the habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details---give me wings to get to the point. I ask for grace enough to listen to the tales of others' pains.But seal my lips on my own aches and pains---they are increasing, and my love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to become a saint--some of them are so hard to live with--but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.

Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people.And give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody; helpful, but not bossy.

With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all--but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.

[Author unknown]

The Lord has alot of work to do with me!

Thanks Robin, for being so real. I love ya friend:)

No comments: