Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Friday Weigh In Week Ending July 16th . . . "We need to define ourselves by our obedience, not on a number on a scale."

I know, I am late on my update for my weigh in.  Sorry.  Life has been challenging and my fibromyalgia kicked in and absolutely had me down for days.  First flare up I've had since I changed my eating habits.  This last week I didn't eat as many veggies as I had been, so wondering if that played a factor?  Not sure, but something I am watching.  Wouldn't it be great it I was able to control the fibromyalgia with my diet!  We shall see ;)

I was very discouraged to have only lost one pound last week. I was bloated and gassy (yes, I know, more information than you probably care to hear about, but hey, just keeping it real here).  I've been just down right mad about it.

As you know, I have been reading Lysa Terkeurst's, Made to Crave for about six weeks.  Now, the book is a VERY easy read, and I could have easily read it in a day or two; but my life doesn't allow me to just sit and read, so I take it with me when I go places that require waiting, or when I have a few minutes of down time.  I do not believe the timing of reading Chapter 8 was a coincidence.  In Chapter 8, reference was made to  Karen Ehman  and her journey in weight loss.  One particular week she was discouraged to have lost "only" 1.8 pounds.  She began asking herself several questions and how they applied to her life.

Here is her list of these questions.  (The answers are MY answers, not hers.  Don't want this post to be longer than it already is and didn't see the reason to post the questions twice.  Please don't take the answers I am responding to as her answers!)

1~ Did I over eat this week on any day?  Yes, not in caloric intake, but one meal in particular I ate beyond the "full" feeling and afterward was stuffed.

2~ Did I move more and exercise regularly?  No.

3~ Do I feel lighter than I did at this time last Friday?  No.  I have been bloated for days and don't feel good. 

4~ Did I eat in secret or out of anger or frustration?  No.

5~ Did I feel that, at any time, I ran to food instead of to God?  NO! (Doing the happy dance on that one! lol!)

6~ Before I hopped on the scales, did I think I had a successful, God pleasing week?  Yes.

She then goes on to say, "Sweet friends, we need to define ourselves by our obedience, not on a number on a scale."  OH MY GOSH THAT IS HUGE! 

It took every ounce of energy I had to not call it quits on Friday.  My mindset was, "if I have to watch what I eat and say no to foods my mouth is salivating over, only to lose ONE pound, then it's not worth it."  What saved me from sabotaging myself was I had two houses to clean on Friday.  I was kept busy and was able to work through my frustration and "stinkin' thinkin'."  It also came to my attention that I had missed nearly two weeks of my thyroid medication.  Shame on me!  I know better than that; but I started believing the devils lies, "Look how good you are doing, you don't need those pills."  I fell in to the same trap Eve fell in to in the Garden of Eden!  I believed one of satan's lies!  I do need my thyroid medication.  I have a underactive thyroid that makes losing weight nearly impossible!  It effects everything . . . exhaustion, muscle aches, heartburn, gas, weight gain!

So . . . . I have added a 7th question to Karen's list of 6; "Did I taking the prescribed medication and vitamins I need to take on a daily basis?"  No, I did not.

THEN, a REALLY cool thing happened on Monday the 18th, I was driving home from Sam's with a car full of fresh fruits, the Lord spoke to my spirit (I have been praying about my eating and weight loss since Friday.)  I had been asking, "What do I need to do differently about my foods."  He said, "Check your sugar intake." 

I have been using myfitnesspal.com to check my caloric, fat, carbohydrates, protein, and sodium.  I came in and changed my settings to show sugar.  Oh my lands!  I had been going over in my sugar in take since I began this journey on May 23rd!  I was shocked.  On May 23rd I replaced all my snacky junk foods with fresh fruits and cut out sweet tea and cokes (I drank boocoos of cokes a day).  It never dawned on me eating apples, grapefruit, bananas, grapes, etc would take me over the amount of sugar I should be taking in.  Now, I am NOT saying eating fresh fruits is bad, but what I am saying is it must be done in balance (as with everything else in life).   I am in the process of studying and learning new foods to eat that will curb my appetite for longer periods; not needing to snack so much in between meals. 

While I can not say I am excited about this weeks weigh in, I can say yesterday I did much better on my sugar intake than any other days in the past.  I can also know that, regardless of my weigh in on Friday,  I can know that I am learning and making better choices.

Lord, thank you for baby steps.  Thank you for revealing me to me what I need to know and do to take my weight loss journey to the next level.  Thank you for loving me and keeping me close.  Forgive me when I doubt and am not obedient.  Go before me this day helping me to make wise choices.  I love you, Lord.  Amen.

No comments: