Thursday, July 28, 2011

Anyone Can Count The Seeds In An Apple . . .

I love to garden and try to include my kids in it as much as I can.  They usually put the seeds in the little container and then put the growths in the holes I dig.  They especially love going out and checking for fruits and veggies! 

One day,  while chowing down on apples, they asked if we could grow apple trees. 

Apple Seeds Kids Shirts and Dinner 003

 

I had no clue if it was as simple as putting them in the ground or what to do, so good ole’ Google lead me in the right direction!

Here is what I found out:

Apple Seeds Kids Shirts and Dinner 001

Set the seeds out on a paper towel and let them completely dry out for a couple days.

After they are dry, wrap them in a paper towel and keep moist for 30 days in the refrigerator.

Apple Seeds Kids Shirts and Dinner 002

We started them out in a Ziploc bag, (not sealing it so it wouldn’t mold),  but took them out half way through because they seemed to be getting slimy.  We kept them on a plate, wrapped in the paper towel and kept the paper towel moist.  It was checked daily for dampness.

At the end of the 30 days, there were no sprouts; however a few of the seeds seemed to have a tips forming.  So I kept them in the fridge for an extra nine days, giving them extra time to sprout.

 

Beach Big Lagoon Beach 208

On the 20th of July, I checked and look what I found!!  SPROUTS!  I was sooo excited as were the kids!

We went outside and planted the nine seeds. 

Beach Big Lagoon Beach 212

Beach Big Lagoon Beach 213

(YES!  It was VERY HOT outside!)

TODAY, July 28th, I went outside to check on the seeds and look what I found!?!

Apple Seeds 001

Out of the nine seeds we planted, three of them have sprouted! 

I am hopeful the others will grow as well.

Now I am not sure if anything will produce from these; or even what the appropriate climate is to grow apples!  I haven’t gotten that far in my researching.  I will find out though to educate myself and my children in this continuing adventure!

My grandmother did this cross-stitch on apple seeds and apples.  It hangs in my kitchen.  I thought it appropriate to mention it since we are attempting to grow apple trees (or at least having fun with it!) 

It is a simple, yet deep statement,Anyone can count the seeds in an apple . . . but ONLY GOD can count the apples in a seed.”

Apple Seeds Kids Shirts and Dinner 004

He is our creator.  Just as He knows the number of apples in one single seed, He also knows the number of hairs on your head (Luke 12:7).  You are valuable to Him. 

No comments: