Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Perfect Meal Or The Perfect Moment



We had to make a quick run to Sam's this morning.  The store was packed, but even in the busyness, I couldn't help but overhear a loud "conversation" that took place between a man and woman regarding how many turkeys they were going to fry this year and how much peanut oil they would need to purchase.

The man appeared frustrated and the woman appeared hurt. And I wanted to cry.

In the midst of the conversation, they were loading their buggy with a huge box of cookware.

Now I know absolutely nothing about this couple, but from exterior, I have to say that is going to be one miserable Thanksgiving Dinner if mindsets aren't changed.  I found myself wondering if it is really worth it?  No, I'm not talking about not having Thanksgiving Dinner, but is it really worth the chaos and the bickering over one meal, when in reality, it should be a day of peace and gratitude.  A day to spend with friends and family, and to be thankful, not slaving over a hot stove and in the kitchen all morning.  Shouldn't it be simpler?  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and prepare a meal at Thanksgiving and Christmas for several reasons.  One is, the smell alone fills my heart and head with some of the most wonderful memories of my grandparents and the other . . . . . . I just love to cook, but have I missed it?  Have I been too concerned about preparing the perfect meal that I've missed the point?

There are families all around us that rely of food pantries for their Thanksgiving Dinners, as well as those that go without, and yet this couple was arguing about how many turkey's to prepare.  Oh my.  I hope they see how truly blessed they are.

Please, during the next few weeks and even through Christmas, don't miss the opportunity to look beyond yourself. A life can be changed for all eternity.

If you are interested in serving or donating to the ministries that serve the less fortunate, there are several opportunities in the Pensacola area.  I have posted a few links below.

Nothing Lost Outreach

Waterfront Rescue Mission

Manna Food Pantry


1 comment:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I see your point...too much work ...I do enjoy the time with family like you said. I feel for the needy