Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America

My husband was sharing with me last night that he has this pledge from Red Skelton playing on 91.7 sometime today. I had never heard it; so was intrigued. You will need to scroll down and mute the music I have playing order to hear his this. The words are also written out.

Red Skelton's, Pledge of Allegiance


I grew up with pride for America. My father retired from the USMC, my grandfather served in the USMC through WWII. Anybody that is raised in a military family has a deep love and devotion that just isn't easily explained by words.


As a Christ-following American now, my love of my country has changed. The word freedom has taken an entire new meaning. As an American, I have a right to speak my mind. As a Christ-follower, I not only have a right, but the privilege to speak openly about my love for my Lord and Savoir, Jesus Christ.


As "bad" as things are in our country right now, they aren't as bad as they could be. For me, today, the 4th of July is much more than burgers, beans an beer .... it's about freedom/liberty .... justice ..... honor ..... pride for my country ..... and the big word today is thankfulness, that I can stand on a street corner and shout the name of Jesus, even if I don’t believe it is the way to win others to Christ, I can still do it. I can fold my hands, bow my head and publicly bless a meal that is before me. I can attend worship service this morning without fear of being walls being broken down and people being gunned down.

We are truly a blessed country.

Today, I am thankful.

Happy 4th of July.

Happy Birthday America!

This great country we live in is 234 years old today.

No comments: