Thursday, January 21, 2010

Today’s Devotion

I have several devotions I try reading each day; sometimes I get to them all, and sometimes I don’t.  I have one in particular I have been trying very hard to put first, it is a devotion guide the staff of Olive wrote to coincide with the sermon’s Pastor Traylor is preaching on, “The 8 callings of God:  Growing in Spiritual Maturity.”  I have been challenged and blessed to be able to get the “insight” each staff member has.  If you do not have one of these little nuggets of truth, I encourage you to get one today!  If you do not live in the Pensacola, FL area, just email me at thepadens@cox.net and I will gladly mail you one. 

Now, with that said, another devotion I read and enjoy is one from David Jeremiah.  I do not read this every day, but as I sense the Lord’s nudging, I try to follow.

This morning’s devotion was very comforting and insightful.  Over the last few days I have experienced a wide variety of emotions, ranging from joyful to anger.  While I believe it is OK to be angry at times, if I am not careful, that anger could turn to sin.  If I handle my anger inappropriately, that is sin.  Does that make since?  I realized just in typing this that it was my emotions that I put in control instead of letting my Jesus be in control.  Shame on me, thank you Lord for showing me.

Back to today’s devotion:

THE JOY OF WORSHIP

“Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord!”  Psalm 105:3

“Charles Spurgeon once said, ‘My happiest moments are when I am worshipping God, really adoring the Lord Jesus Christ, and having fellowship with the ever-blessed Spirit.  In that worship I forget the cares of the church and everything else.  To me it is the nearest approach to what it will be in heaven.’

Worship has a way of refreshing our hearts and rejuvenating our spirits.  As we reflect on God’s attributes – His power and sovereignty – we view our circumstances through a different lens – God’s lens.  In the light of His power, giant-sized problems become mouse-like.  Although we may enter into His presence with a heavy heart, we leave with a new sense of hope and joy.  Through worship we are reminded of the following truth – God Almighty is in control of our lives, and He is fully capable of managing our concerns.  The psalmist sums it up precisely with these words:  ‘Why are you cast down, O my soul? . . . Hope in God’ Psalm 42:5.

Rejoice, believer!  God has given you ‘the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness’ (Isaiah 61:3).  When you worship Him, darkness and despair are dispelled.”

First of all, the quote from Charles Spurgeon was HUGE for me!  That alone got my soul stirring for worship time!  The, after reading the rest of the devotion, I spent time reflecting on my worship.

I never knew what worship really was until we, as a church was blessed to have Leo Day as our worship leader.  I knew the first time he served as interim Minster of Worship that there was something about he and his family I liked.  Through Leo’s passion, not only for music, but for Jesus, I have learned how to worship freely.  It’s amazing.

I pray today, you will take a few minutes to worship Him …. you don’t have to have music playing to worship.  It is OK to raise your hands in praise of Him, Who He is and what He has done in your life.

The children’s song, “Praise Him Praise Him all ye little children, God is good, God is good…” just came to mind.

Have a “God” day:)

No comments: