Sunday, June 10, 2012

More Than A Puppy Post!

We have lost four, ten week old lab mix puppies in less than 72 hours.


A friend needed help.  She had nine puppies that had been diagnosed with Coccidia, which had already been at my house, so I felt it was safe to bring them here.


Little did she, or I know, they also had Distemper.


I thank the Lord we kept them in complete isolation.


Today, at 8:03, the precious Hershey took his last breath.


This has caused me much pain.  I thought I had "figured this thing called distemper out."


The ones that looked the worse were going to go.


But that's not the case.


Hershey, while he had pneumonia, seemed to be improving.  He was the largest of the puppies.  He ate steadily and drank lots of water, Gatorade, and Chicken Broth.  His fever broke on Saturday so in my heart, I knew he would survive.  Even his cough and green snotty nose had cleared up!


Last night he had a 15 second seizure.  I gave him fluids in hopes it was from low blood sugars.


Throughout the night there were no other signs of seizures.


When I checked on him this morning, he was seizing.


When he heard my voice, he tried running to me; but apparently because of the the seizure, he lost his vision.


He kept bouncing into every wall trying to get to me.


I threw on my clothes and drove as fast, and as safe as I could to the vet for the dreaded euthanasia.


I tried laying Hershey in the seat next to me.  He was wrapped firmly in a towel; but that didn't work.


He wanted me; to be held.


While trying to make things work, I was reminded of a post a friend posted on my fb page yesterday, about a song that came to her mind when she read about the puppies.


She reminded me, that "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" and that she couldn't help but think that His eyes are on the puppies as well.


As I drove Hershey to what would be Hershey's place of rest, the Lord reminded of the words of that song; and then I remembered . . . . Jesus Loves Me.


When I first got sober and eventually came to know the Lord, there was a spiritual battle over my life.


Nightmares, dry drunks, emotional craziness . . . . it was horrible.


The only "spiritual" song I knew was "Jesus Loves Me."


When I get scared, when I get overwhelmed, when I get anxious, when I worry, when I just don't know what to do, I still sing, "Jesus Loves Me."


When my kids have nightmares; we sing that song together.


My hopes, that they always remember and know, that through life's hardest trials, the only thing that REALLY, REALLY matters (after salvation, of course!), is that Jesus Loves them . . . . right where they are.


And so with that, I drove, and I sang . . . . .


"Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so!  Little ones to Him belong; they are weak, but He is strong!  YES!  Jesus loves me!  Yes! Jesus loves me!  Yes! Jesus loves me!  The Bible tells me so!"


over and over with Hershey wrapped tight in my arms.

I don't even remember the drive to the vet; but I remember looking into his eyes and singing as loud as I could over the seizure that brought whimpering and vomiting.

Through Hershey's death, the Lord also revealed another known fact, but one I often forget.

"Things aren't always like they seem."

Hershey was the largest puppy of the nine.  He was the most playful.  He, in my opinion, was the most beautiful; but that didn't matter.

On the inside, in his body, and in his brain, he was sickly. 

He has me fooled.

So it is in so many of people's lives.

We put up a front that everything is fine.  

We have the best of the best.  

We put on our pretty smile.

We always look our best and always talk "smack."

But on the inside, we are dying.

Those of us on the other side of the spectrum of "having and looking their best" are just as guilty.  

We live in discontentment.

We live in jealousy.

We live in disappointment.

The scriptures tell us in Psalm 118:8, "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans."


Matthew 6:33 says, "BUT, seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  By seeking Him first, and seeking His righteousness, all these things (what you wear and what you eat), will be provided for.


I Timothy 6:6 tells me that "godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment."


Oh the things we can learn and be reminded of in scripture . . . even through the death of a pup.

And that makes me smile :)

3 comments:

Joanne said...

As always your posts go straight to the heart. I am so sorry about your sweet puppy, but I am glad he felt your love til the very end.
Blessings, Joanne

Stacey said...

Thank you, Joanne! You are very kind :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful