Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thanksgiving To Remember

Before I left this morning to head to Nothing Lost Outreach, the Lord sent me back into the house to get a pair of boots.  I continued to argue with the Lord because I have an order for a size 10 boot for someone that needs to be filled for Sunday; but the Lord insisted. 

I asked Him to show me specifically who the shoes were to be for; and that they would say, "I wear a size 10." 

We were not having showers, hair cuts or clothing distributed today; but sensed the need to take a few blankets, clothing, shoes and socks . . . . . just in case.  My thoughts were that the temps were dropping and "you never know."

But God knew.

A man walked up to me today that attended the first time last Sunday.  I figured he was looking for a tent I had told him we'd have for him; but he wasn't.  He asked me, "Do you have any shoes?"  I looked down, he was wearing sandals with socks.  I asked him, "What size do you wear?" (Knowing what he was about to tell me . . . )  "Size 10." 

It only took minutes to retrieve the boots from my car.




"Jay, do they fit?"  (which was a STUPID question!)  "They are a perfect fit.  I can't believe it."  "Jay, God knew you were going to need these shoes.  He had me go back in to the house and get them.  That is how special you are."

With that, he simply nodded in appreciation. 

Jay needs a tent.  I have a big five person tent, but Jay is by himself and needs a small one.  He wouldn't take the bigger one because he didn't want to take from someone else that would need the bigger one.  They are about $20 at Wal-Mart.  If you have one or would like to contribute, please email me at thepadenfamily@gmail.com.

I mentioned to one of the men (Bill) that participate in NLO regularly and that actually goes into the camps and shares the gospel with the homeless, that I brought a few blankets and coats if anyone approached him with a need.

Bill approached me later and asked if I had two blankets and possibly a sleeping bag for a guy he knows had what "stuff" stolen from him.  I told him I didn't remember bringing a sleeping bag, but I knew I had blankets.

When I opened the trunk of my car to get the two blankets, there was a blue sleeping bag.  I remember putting my hand on it at the house; remember pulling my hand away from it, but have no memory of putting it in the car.  When I got home, I asked Chris and he said it was on the box with the duffle bags, so he assumed I wanted it to go with me.

God knew Jay was going to need those size 10 boots; God knew Bill's friend needed a sleeping bag, blanket, a duffle bag, a pair of socks and a flashlight . . . God knew.

I was in awe today that God allowed me to see His hand.  He could have met those needs a million different way; yet He allowed me to be a part of it, so witness it.  Whew.  It's overwhelming.

God knows the numbers of hair on your head.  He knows what you are dealing with right now.  your grocery list needs and  He knows when your power bill is due.  He knows when where your next meal is coming from.  He knows . . . . your name!

I don't know what your need is; but I know the Lord will provide. 

Matthew 6: 25-34, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: