Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Reflecting on Betrayal

Several months ago an incident occurred that involved a friend of mine.  People were devastated, hurt, angry, and bitter over the tragedy.  In my opinion, they had every right to be based on the circumstances.  My heart still aches over my friend's tragedy in a way I didn't know I could ache.  Because of the tragedy though, I witnesses a love between a husband and wife that has made a lasting impact in my life.

Through out the ordeal, many kept saying, "We should have never helped him or welcomed him into our community.  We help and this is what happens."

BUT one said, "You know, what if because of Judas' betrayal, Jesus stopped helping others."

Those words penetrated my heart and made a lasting impact.

"What if", because of Judas' betrayal, Jesus called it quits?  What if, because of the betrayal of Judas, Jesus said, "no more miracles, no grace, no thanskgiving, no provisions, I'm done!"
Oh the thought of such tragedy ties my stomach in knots!

Through God's Word . . . we are taught:

~In life we are called to serve.  The word serve/service is mentioned 483 times in the Bible (KJV).

~In life, we are told that there will be trials and tribulations. (John 16:33,
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” NIV)

~In life, we are told to make disciples.  (Matthew 28:18-20, "And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”)  

~In life, we are told obedience is better than sacrifice. (1 Samuel 15:22, But Samuel replied:
“Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD?   To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 

~In life, we are called to forgive.  Just because we are called to forgive DOES NOT mean we have to trust.  Forgive/Forgiveness is mentioned 129 times in the Bible (KJV).  The verse that I try to keep on the forefront of my heart though is, Matthew 18: 21 - 22:  Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, (how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”  Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."

~In life, we are NOT told "if someone hurts you are to quit serving people all together!" Sorry, but there are NO Biblical references to sustain that!

~In life,we are told to NOT put our confidence in man!  The scriptures tell us in, Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the LORD thank to put confidence in man."

I just want to encourage you to simply keep on keepin' on; to not let one person's betrayal destroy your desire to help and encourage others. 

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone but me, and that's OK.  I blog what the Lord puts on my heart to share about and I've been dealing with this one for a while.  Figured I'd go ahead and take the time to put it out there. 

Walking in Victory,

Stacey

2 comments:

Melissa Mason said...

So very true. Good read.

Stacey said...

Thanks Melissa!