Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving And A Few Recipes

Well, tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  It seems like it was just summer.  I’m not complaining though, for one, the Christmas season is my favorite time of the year, and two, we’ve had a pretty c-r-a-p-p-y year.  I’ll be glad to see this one behind us; BUT, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and with that, I am thankful for the Lord seeing us through thus far!

If you have been reading my blog for any time, you know the struggle I have with my weight.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said I was “starting over.” 

I picked a pretty bad time of the year to try, yet again, to “start over” on my weight loss.  While I am usually pretty open about my life, I am just too ashamed to admit just how much I weigh now.  Two weeks ago when I weighed in at Weight Watchers, I weighed more than I have ever.  The week before last I was pleasantly surprised with a 6 1/2 pound weight loss in five days.  This week, we had a birthday party with scrumptious cake from The Cake Shop and ice cream too; how rude it would have been for me to NOT eat… yeah, right!  Not to mention pizza for lunch… and yes, I had too much.  So I expected to actually gain weight this week.  Yet again, I was pleasantly surprised with a 4 pound weight loss.  If I don’t gain any of that back this week it will be a miracle!  I’ve started my Thanksgiving feast early by ordering pizza from Pizza Hut…. does Veggie Lover count for anything, on thin and crispy crust?!  Oh well. 

In order for me to not fall completely on my face, I decided to prepare some Weight Watcher’s desserts tomorrow.  Just thought I’d share some of the recipes.  I sure would love to know if any of you know of extra ways/recipes to cut back on “points.” 

Pineapple Cake

1 Angel Food Cake Mix

1 – 20oz can crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix cake mix and crushed pineapple (including juice) together.  Pour into an UNGREASED 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes.  Serves 12 (large pieces)  2 Pts a serving.

 

Pumpkin Pie

1 – 14oz can pumpkin

2 egg whites

1/2 cup Splenda

1/2 cup reduced fat Bisquick

1 tsp reduced calorie margarine

1 – 14oz can evaporated skim milk

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp ginger

Blend all ingredients together.  Pour into pie plate and bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.  (No, there is no crust on this one!)  Serving size:  1/8 pie; Points:  1.25; Whole pie:  10 points!

Dreamsicle Delight

8 oz fat free cream cheese

12 oz fat free whip cream

1 – 3 oz pkg sugar free orange jello

1 dash vanilla

14 oz can mandarin oranges, drained

crushed graham cracker crumbs

Blend cream cheese until all lumps are out; slowly add the whip cream and whip for several minutes.  Once lumps are out and creamy, add a dash of vanilla and then the orange jello powder.  Once the cream cheese, whip cream and jello are mixed well, gently fold in mandarin oranges.  (The recipe calls for a small can of mandarin oranges and a small can of tidbit pineapple; however, I prefer the mandarin oranges.  In fact, It’s fabulous without any fruit added at all!) 

Also, the recipe calls for a graham cracker crust.  In order to trim points, I use crushed graham cracker crumbs and sprinkle lightly over the top.  I do not use the graham crackers every time.  Since I have altered this recipe, I do not know the point value.  Sorry.

So, there it is, now, I have to get these done so I won’t have to do them in the morning.

Ya’ll have a FABULOUS Thanksgiving!  I hope and pray you will be truly blessed and thankful for the many blessings we have.

Chow.

No comments: