Friday, November 20, 2009

Entertaining Angels

You know that scripture in Hebrews, the one that talks about the prisoners and entertaining angels…yes, that’s the one, Hebrews 13:1 – 3.  Eddie Echarri quoted that scripture a lot.  In case you aren’t familiar with it, here’s how it goes.

Hebrews 13: 1 – 3 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Let brotherly love continue.  Don’t neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have welcomed (entertained) angels as guests without knowing it.  Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily.”

Eddie used to stop for everyone.  People joked that as mean as Eddie was, he was one of the most merciful people I have ever known.  Eddie taught me a lot.

I’ve thought of this scripture all day today.  I often pray and ask the Lord to use me, but rarely slow down enough, or pay attention to what the Lord wants to show me.  Today, it took making a U-turn to get to where “I” was trying to get before I realized what was really going on.  I’m not saying I entertained an angel today, but I did get to touch somebody’s life today.

Kayla, Kaitlyn and I were on our way taking some AVON books to a customer.  I had intended on entering the back gate at Governor’s Gate, but thanks to some construction, that gate was locked.  On the way to Governor’s gate, I noticed a senior adult walking in the middle of the road, with a walker, carrying some bags.  I immediately thought, “that doesn’t look right….”  Me, being in the hurry I was, just drove by.  I know, I know….  Because I had to turn around in order to enter the apartment complex from the main entrance, we passed the senior adult again.  He was attempting to cross 4 lanes of moving traffic and 2 turning lanes.  That’s when I knew something was really wrong. 

I watched hundreds of people driving by this helpless old man, who was lost and had no idea how to get back to his home.  He remembered his phone number, he said his wife will answer.  She did just that.

In the mean time, another older gentleman pulled over, helped him to our car and loaded the walker in the back with Kayla and Kaitlyn. 

I don’t share this to boast, but to just be so thankful that I got to be used today to touch some one’s life.  So many times I let opportunities pass me by.  I’m thankful, today, that didn’t happen.

I don’t know that old man’s story, all I know is our local bus system dropped him off and told him to “Go that way….” 

My grandfather has Alzheimer’s.  I hope if he ever gets lost, someone will help him find his way home.

“Thank you, Lord, for letting me touch someone’s life today.  Forgive me for passing by so many opportunities.  In Jesus name, Amen.”

2 comments:

Stacey,momof 2 said...

I am so proud to know you! I am proud that you were able to stop and help and that your girls saw you give of yourself...
IF only we had more like you!
Awesome, and simply priceless!

Tammy said...

I know exactly how you feel. WHile visiting my son in Atlanta, we came along the exact same situation. A very old man on a cane in extremely dangerous Atlanta traffic. It looked wrong. I called the police and reported it. We went about a mile and turned around and came back. No police. We parked the car and my son went to the man. He called me a few mins later. The old man didnt speak a word of English and was so exhausted. He wanted to go home. We couldn't understamd a single word. Called the police back-still no response. We finally understood where he needed to go. All he wanted to do was give us money. Praise God we got him delivered home safely to a family who had no idea he was even gone. Thank God we listened and obeyed His word that day. And like you, I hope if any of my family is ever stranded, someone is used of God to help. oh yeah-I sure miss Eddie. What I wouldn't give just one more time to hear him say "Hey Tammy--how's Billy" (said in that wacky NY accent that I grew to love)